Is social media taking over our lives?

Written by Annette Berntsen, copy editor

When you hear the words social media, what is the first thing you think of? Is it your dog’s Instagram account, your cringy Facebook profile from five years ago, or maybe your most recent Snapchat story in which you shoved your face into a plate of mac n’ cheese? We don’t often think about how much time we actually spend on social media and how much it affects our lives.

Some of you might be thinking right now, “I don’t have that problem; this doesn’t apply to me.” And that may be true. However, according to a study done by Common Sense Media, most people do spend more time on their phones than they should.

Often times people become so focused with what’s on the screen that they lose track of what’s happening in the present. About 95% of teenagers say they have a smartphone or access to one, and 45% say they are on it almost constantly. According to Common Sense Media, the average teenager spends about nine hours per day on social media. That’s more than one third of their day spent staring at a screen.

Teenagers like the ones in that study get so wrapped up in their social media lives that they sometimes forget to live their real lives. They worry about what others might think of them, so they spend so much time building this “fake me” that they tend to forget to spend time with their family or friends. People who spend this much time on social media should take a break every now and then and just live in the moment; forget what people have to say about you and just be yourself.