The Cardinal Times Online

24th Annual Mole Day

Back to Article
Back to Article

24th Annual Mole Day

Both Chemistry classes gather together under the Molympics sign for a group photo.

Photo by Chad Bleier

Photo by Chad Bleier

Photo by Chad Bleier

Every year in Chemistry class the first quarter leads up to understanding moles. To celebrate, Chemistry classes compete in a series of mole-themed games dubbed the “Molympics.” Science teacher Chris Bellar stresses the importance of a mole while making it fun every year. This year was the 24th annual Molympics.
A mole is a unit of atoms, 6.02 X 10 23 atoms actually, and is used in chemistry equations. Mole day is on Oct. 23 and the chemistry students arrived at school before 6:02 a.m. The celebration began with reciting a pledge, ringing the cymbals and cheering.
In the days leading up to the event, students of the two classes chose a team name, signed up for games, tie-dyed shirts and created posters. All activities count for extra credit, in addition to the extra credit papers that result in Mole Dollars.
“Mole Day was lit. I would celebrate Mole Day every year,” junior and Molennium Falcon Neal Zoglmann said. “Winning the ‘Do you wanna be a Molenaire?’ was my best memory.”
This year’s two teams were the fourth hour Chemistry as the Molennium Falcons and the fifth hour class as the Moleja Boys. After a long hour of back and forth, the Molja Boys won the Molympics with the last event as the tiebreaker.
After the games, the classes took a group picture and had breakfast that the students brought. This year’s Chemistry classes were different because Mr. Bellar has never had two classes back to back with this many people, and he has never had the last event be the tiebreaker.
“It was good, but I didn’t like getting up so early. Despite that, I would still celebrate it again,” junior Adyson Koster said.
Mr. Bellar said he believes that Mole Day is important and that getting up early is what makes it even more special. He said that he feels like if someone were to miss Mole Day, their life would feel unfulfilled.
“It’s important to have fun in life and not take everything too seriously, and if you can celebrate a number and a guy that lived in the 1800s, you’re doing something right,” Mr. Bellar said. “It’s good to have fun with education and make your students know learning can be fun.”