Students and Staff Receive COVID-19 Vaccine

Written by Natalie Drouhard, website editor-in-chief

According to the KDHE vaccination plan, teachers are in the next phase to receive the vaccine. Sumner county distributed their vaccines to Conway Springs community members and school staff through Freeman Pharmacy on Feb. 26. Out of 19 results from a survey sent to the high school staff, a majority of the staff opted to receive the vaccine, and three members were not eligible due to having to wait 90 days from previously having COVID-19. 

“I went ahead and called the pharmacy before I was supposed to receive the shot because I had heard different opinions on when someone should get the vaccine after having the virus,” librarian Callie Bartelson said. “I can get it around April when my 90 days will be up. I want to help stop the spread of the virus and help protect those in my family.”

While some staff members did not receive the vaccine due to possible health conflictions, some decided not to get it because they felt confident they could survive getting the virus.

“I’m on the fence. I’m not saying I won’t ever get it. I’m in good health right now and young so I’m not very worried about it,” administrative assistant Daphne Kennard said. “I see it kinda the same as the flu shot. Sometimes I get it, sometimes I don’t. I think I’ll get it in the future if it turns into a similar process as the flu shot.”

Also an administrative assistant, Shelly Lackey also declined to get the vaccination.

“I don’t get the flu shot ever and I see this the same way,” Mrs. Lackey said. “I’m healthy and young and I see it as someone else could need it more.”

Community members including essential workers are also being offered the vaccine. Some high school students who work at Hired Man’s Grocery and Grill and Springview Manor were given the option to be vaccinated through their employers. 

“I could get it through the nursing home but I want to wait. I just feel like other people need it more,” senior and Spring View Manor employee Kyla Echelberry said. “I still have to get tested every week, but it’s just once a week now instead of twice. I’m so used to it now I didn’t think about not having to do it if I got the vaccine.”

Another senior, TK Maforo, who is also an employee at Spring View opted to receive the vaccine despite having already had COVID-19. The vaccine was distributed at the nursing home by Walgreens employees and was the Pfizer vaccine, instead of the Moderna vaccine from Freeman Pharmacy. 

“I got it out of respect and protection for my grandparents, family, and everyone I’m around, which is a lot of people. I recommend 100% to everyone to get it because it keeps everyone safe, and I think we should all watch out and protect each other,” Maforo said. “I didn’t wait the 90 days to get the vaccine after having COVIC. I just got it as soon as possible. I didn’t have a bad reaction or anything, just a slightly sore in the arm I got the shot in.”