National Honor Society holds induction ceremony

During+the+induction+ceremony%2C+senior+Cassidy+Beal+lights+the+candle+of+service.+It+is+tradition+every+year+that+officers+light+the+four+candles+representing+the+pillars+of+the+National+Honor+Society.+

Photo by Mya Scott

During the induction ceremony, senior Cassidy Beal lights the candle of service. It is tradition every year that officers light the four candles representing the pillars of the National Honor Society.

Written by Cheyanne Tull, staff member

With the school year back in full swing and clubs reigniting, National Honor Society is back as well and experiencing a few changes. Previously, counselor Louise Ronnau was the sponsor for this club. As Ronnau retired last year, Chris Bellar took over this role on top of teaching three science classes (Biology, Chemistry, and Advanced Biology) and being head tennis coach. 

“I knew I would be busy, but when you’ve been teaching for this long, trying something new is exciting,” Bellar said.

In the past, NHS has been a club maintained through the school, not actually a part of the National Society of High School Scholars (NSHSS) based in Georgia, but this year, Bellar wants a more official feel to the club and all members of NHS were in favor. This would transfer to colleges and universities and present their hard work in high school towards their academics. 

“I am really excited for this change this year because it feels more official to be recognized at a national level,” senior and returning member Emma Zoglmann said.

In order to become a member of NHS, students must maintain good grades and present leadership skills. Those meeting that criteria are invited to fill out an application and write a small paragraph on their accomplishments through high school academics and why they would like to become a member. The high school teachers reviewed these forms and selected their personal choices of who they thought would be a good fit. 

Senior members selected this year are Cassidy Beal, Loren May, Lauren Mercer, Lance Pauly, Monica Willson, Emma Zoglmann, and Rosalyn Zoglmann. Junior members selected this year are Melainy Kennard, Katelyn Koester, Reghan Ohl, Faith Stuhlsatz, Cheyanne Tull, Hannah Zoglmann, and Kara Zoglmann. 

Due to Covid regulations and a limit on events with a large crowd, last year an induction ceremony was held, but no parents were allowed to attend. Zoglmann said these students still received their pins and walked across the stage, but unfortunately it lost its effect due to no audience and no dinner afterward. This year, the induction ceremony was held on Sept. 15. Each student was allowed two people to attend the ceremony, and a dinner for guests and their NHS students was held before the ceremony. 

“I liked the decorations and the dinner was a good way to end this celebration,” Stuhlsatz said.