New school year brings on new Covid precautions

Photo by Rosalyn Zoglmann

During first lunch, sophomores Faith Kelly and Makenna Smith have a conversation. This school year during lunch, students can sit close to each other and with whomever they want.

Written by Rosalyn Zoglmann, staff member

Walking the halls of the high school, few people wear masks. Last year, masks and social distancing were mandated. At lunch, students were to sit six feet apart and in the same spot the entire school year to help with contact tracing. This also included seating charts in all classes. Now, students can sit wherever they want and with whomever they want, at the teacher’s discretion.

“[Things have changed] a lot; you are able to get closer to people,” said sophomore Lorenz Patterson.

This school year, masks are optional. The optional mask policy started towards the last week of school last school year and carried over into this year. 

“I like the optional mask,” said new English teacher Tristan Carson. “My thought was if [you were] vaccinated you don’t have to [wear one]. I like it. I didn’t like wearing masks.”

With masks being optional, there are very few students and teachers wearing them. Spanish teacher Sally Hardy has chosen to wear a mask every day. 

“Well, I’m not super comfortable with [the optional mask policy],” Hardy said. ”That’s why I wear my mask and have my son wear his at the elementary school. I respect the opinion of the school and the public. I do what I can do. I try to stay six feet apart.” 

Superintendent Clay Murphy had an anonymous vote at enrollment to help decide on whether to make masks required, not required, or optional. Ultimately, the decision was up to the school board. While the parents’ opinions were an important factor, there were still many other factors that went into the decision. 

“They look at a little bit more than public opinion,” principal Brent Harrell said. “The data supported the mask [being] optional. I hope it stays that way. Things can turn on a dime.”