FCCLA raises money to fight Australian wildfires

Photo by Tatum Wykes

Senior Karley Mooneyham hands out treats to juniors Addie Barkley and Molly Bender, and sophomores Rosalyn Zoglmann and Abby Botkin. All proceeds went to helping the animals and people in need.

Written by Brynn Andra, staff member

According to BBC News, 46 million acres of Australia have been burned and affected by wildfires. As of now, around $30 million has been donated to help put the fires out and rehabilitate the animals and people affected by the disaster. FCCLA helped to donate to this cause by holding a bake sale as a fundraiser.

“It really broke my heart to see the damage the fires were doing to the wildlife, and I’ve always had a love for wildlife/nature since I was little,” senior Karley Mooneyham said. “My grandma, my mom and I decided to start a bake sale and use the money to donate to the animals in need.”

Although Mooneyham came up with the idea, several students and members of the staff brought food to sell for the fundraiser. The students include seniors Kara Koester, Madison Pauly, Amy Zoglmann and Neal Zoglmann. FCCLA sponsor Nancy Julius and secretary Shelly Lackey also brought food to help support the fundraiser. 

“I decided to help and bring food because it’s all for a really good cause. I also know that Karley is very passionate about nature and animals, and I wanted to help her in any way that I could,” Mrs. Lackey said.

Conway Springs alone has donated $800 for the cause. A shirt sale from Stuco netted $450 to the volunteer firefighters. FCCLA donated $350 to the rehabilitation of animals. 

“I thought that it was a really good cause, and Karley is one of my closest friends. I wanted to help support her in any way that I could. I also really love baking,” Neal said. 

Photo by Tatum Wykes