The Cardinal Times Online

‘The Life and Times of Princess Sophia’… Sort of?

Back to Article
Back to Article

A few days before the first performance, the cast practices at the first dress rehearsal. The evil Sorceress Nefaria, played by junior Amy Zoglmann, has most of the cast imprisoned, with the exception of Tabby, played by senior Makenzie Curry.

Written by Lawrence Pauly, staff member

On March 29 and 30, the drama department will be performing the play “The Life and Times of Princess Sophia” by Douglas Clinton. The first performance is the matinee, Friday at 1:30, followed by Friday night at 7 p.m. and Saturday at 8 p.m. With 21 actors, this play is the biggest that they have put on. They’ve been practicing since the middle of February and the performance is closing in.

“The storyline is easy to follow and entertaining to watch,” senior Audrey Doffing said.

The play begins in the kingdom of Spamalot with a beautiful princess, Princess Sophia. This play will describe the life of Princess Sophia and her journey to becoming the queen of this land. Well, that’s sort of right. When Princess Sophia is nowhere to be found, Princess Tabasco and her lady-in-waiting Saffron step in to rescue Prince Gallant, the prince of Spamalot who has been captured by the evil sorceress Nefaria.

“I think the play is okay, but it’s harder with the big cast because not everyone listens,” senior Leah Reep said.

This is the second play this year, and the fifth play that the newly restored drama department has arranged. Many of the same actors appear, such as seniors Caden Runnalls and Benjamin Doffing, with some new actors performing their debut role, such as junior Kelly Doffing, freshman Ally Lange, and senior and former set and prop designer Mariah Morris.

“I get to be more involved with the cast, but it’s strange to see the set built and just appear without me,” Morris said.

If you’re wanting a ticket, they are available in the office or at Hired Man’s Grocery & Grill for purchase.

Who? Drama Dept

What? “The Life and Times of Princess Sophia”

When? March 29, 30

Where? High School Auditorium