FCCLA hosts Valentines Giveaway

Photo by Jayden Stanley

For the Valentine’s giveaway, senior Lesie Mies decorates heart-shaped cookies. This giveaway was hosted by the FCCLA group during FCCLA week.

Written by Stephanie Brozovich, editor-in-chief

After spending their time on families, community, and careers, members of FCCLA celebrated themselves and the organization during FCCLA week Feb. 8 to Feb. 15. During FCCLA week, members chose to organize desired projects, just like they would at any other point in their time in FCCLA.

“I thought it was a nice,” senior Alexis Pauly said. “It was a nice thing to do around Valentine’s Day when everyone is thinking about others.”

This year, the FCCLA group organized a competition and giveaway for high school students. For the competition, faculty and staff members could vote for up to two students from each class, one boy and one girl, who showed a lot of “heart.” The criteria the students were evaluated on was their leadership in school and the community. The winners of the competition were freshman Nathan Doffing, sophomores Colby Osner and Sadie Schmanke, juniors Austin Gibbs and Madison Pauly, and seniors Nathan Ohl and Alexis Pauly.

“It was a nice touch,” junior Madison Pauly said. “It brought awareness to the leaders of the school.”

Members of FCCLA finished celebrating the week with their biweekly meeting on Wednesday. During this meeting, they decorated cookies that sponsor Nancy Julius had baked. When the cookies were all decorated, the best were picked out and used to pass out to the winners of the competitions. Later in the day, the members of FCCLA passed out four cookies to each winner as the winning prize.

“I felt grateful because I like cookies,” junior Austin Gibbs said. “I also felt grateful that they recognized me as a leader.”